Sunday 31 July 2011

Unofficial Post #1: NCAA game

            It has been quite a long time since I watched a live basketball match. The last time I watched was between University of Santo Tomas and Ateneo De Manila University, fighting for the UAAP championship title. Yes, it was that long ago. During that time I was not the type to cheer for any team especially when I do not attend school in either college. In other words I did not feel like I was part of their school spirit. Maybe that is why I never watched a live basketball game again because I did not feel like cheering for a team I was not part of but now that I am a college student rooting for a team, De La Salle- College of Saint Benilde also known as Blazers!
            I did not expect to be cheering a lot during the game especially when we were on the way I could not care less for the cheers the boosters were teaching us. I suppose the atmosphere helped especially the game before the Blazers was intense. The game between Mapua and Jose Rizal University was something worth seeing again. After all Jose Rizal University caught up with Mapua who was leading by 20! I think that was part of the thrill that added up to my intense cheering for the Blazers.
            I really was not hopeful that the Blazers would win but I told myself that I would be satisfied if they gave a good fight, which they did. They did not let San Beda lead by ten point but only by one to six points! Every time the Blazers would score me and my friend would stand up and shout! And when the cheerleaders were asking us to cheer we would cheer to the fullest! To think that the underdog Blazers could match up with the defending champions?! That was just an awesome game! The last few seconds of the game was the most crucial part. San Beda was leading by four points and there was a few seconds left in the game. The last two possessions were the Blazers. Every second was a battle for the ball and a run to the ring. The last seven seconds when the Blazers had possession of the ball wearing the number six jersey dribbled the ball all the way to San Beda’s ring. Two tall San Beda players stood in the way of number six but number six did not stop instead he charged towards the ring, he shoots…but it came up short then the buzzer rang throughout the gymnasium! We were all expecting a foul but none was given. We may have been defeated but it sure was a win for us, Benildeans. I felt every single moment during the game and after. I felt the unity of each Benildean inside the gymnasium. It was worth while. I hope and pray that the Blazers will always show a hundred percent in their games whether there are people cheering or none at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment