Sunday 10 July 2011

My Favorite Song (July 2011)



If you are wondering why this blog's title says "My Favorite Song (July 2011)", well look at the other blogs and you'll see why. 

I choose 'Thrive' by Switchfoot as my favorite song this month (and hopefully the months to follow). I like how Jon (lead singer and composer of the band) writes his songs, it always tells a tale about life's daily struggles. I got attracted to this song because 1.) The acoustic guitar is cool, 2.) The Rhythm of the song moves me, 3.) The lyrics of this song gave a big impression to my soul, and 4.) Jon Foreman is awesome. I admire Jon for being honest and humble about his struggles.

How do I further explain this song? How can I relate this to my life? Well first off I can not interpret this song and so I will only relate the lyrics to my experiences and feelings. Savy? (Savy is a pirate word for understand....in case you are wondering). 

"Been fighting things that I can't see, like voices coming from the inside of me, like doing things I find hard to believe in. Am I myself or am I dreaming?"

This is the first verse of the song. What are the voices inside my head? There are times when the voices inside my head would tell me ‘You are nothing to them’, ‘You are useless’, ‘You should just die so that you won’t feel the pain’, ‘You can’t do anything properly’, things like those. And so it is hard to motive myself into changing my ways and to correct the way I think. Until now I would have this voice telling me what I can’t do. But even though I struggle with this I know that I can always ask guidance from God after all with God all things are possible.

“No I’m not alright; I know that I’m not right.” And “I try to hide it and not let it show but deep down inside me I just don’t know”

The first line is repeated throughout the song while the second line relates to the first.
My friends would always call me a "closed book" and that's because I don't like talking about myself or my struggles, though I may open up to people who I know will really listen to me. I may seem happy and relaxed but I see myself like a dormant volcano, waiting to erupt any moment. But so far I have remained composed, or not? Well you’ll never know because I am not telling you.



“The stranger in the mirror’s been wearing my clothes”

There were times when I felt useless, and out of place.
I would wake up and do things that are asked of me but at the end of the day I do not know what had happened. It was as if my body was being controlled by a machine. It was not me living but a robot.



  “I get so down, but I won’t give up”

When I feel the ‘negative’ emotions piling up inside of me, I would shove in ‘Positive’ thoughts so that my mind can find the equilibrium. No matter what the situation is I try to think of the positive side of things. It makes me feel better, for a while, until it comes crawling back to my brain.

“I wanna thrive not just survive”

Thrive means to prosper, grow, to develop. Survive means to endure or live through. We face many trials in this life and its either we fail or we survive them. But when that happens we should be able to stand up and learn from that experience. We should grow stronger and not weaker. We should prosper, grow and develop our knowledge so that when something big comes, we are ready.


I hope this made sense if not I will edit this. If you have any questions or suggestions tell me ASAP. 



**This song will be released in their album called "Vice Verses", coming this September 20, 2011. 

No comments:

Post a Comment