Monday 4 June 2012

A Cup of Rice

Subject: ARCDES a.k.a ARCDEATH. (Architectural Design 1)
Topic: A Cup of Rice
Objectives: To have another point of view of the chosen topic.

The first things that came to mind was the output or the finish product. I made sketches of a person 'cupping' the rice in his palms while a shower of rice comes pouring in. I had other ideas like this but none of them seemed to be approved by my teachers, hence back to the drawing board.

After much deliberation, I decided to use the Elements (Fire, Air, Earth and Water). Since rice is already from the Earth element, I do not need to worry about that for the mean time. I had 2 cups of rice, one cup consists of white rice while the other cup is brown rice. I started with the element of Water wherein I submerged 1/2 cup of each rice into 1 cup of water and I left them to adsorb the water for 5 hours. Every hour I would take a few grains out of the water for sample and comparison. After using the element Water I then used the element of Air. I left the rice to air-dry overnight. The results was quite obvious, for someone who is surrounded by chefs, its easier to see that the rice was easier to pulverize.

White Rice

White Rice Grain 1

White Rice Grain 2

Brown Rice


Brown Rice 1

Brown Rice Back View

Brown Rice Top View

Preparing for the Water test


After 2 hours under water: White Rice

After 2 Hours under water: Brown Rice

Continually submerged in water

Air: Brown Rice

Air: White Rice

Air-dry: Brown

Air-dry: White


Fire: Brown

Preparing for toasting

1st try: 270 degrees 5 minutes
2nd try: 175 degrees 10 minutes

Cooking the other 1/2 cup of white rice

Another element of fire: Toast

Pounding the Earth (Grain)


After 5 minutes in the toaster

Ready for pounding




Different texture





In the process of toasting

Slowly roasting



Nutty-pounded rice (Gravel)

Fine Pounded rice (Sand)


Will be mushed in order to attain the glue (Cement mix)







Mix (Cement mix +Gravel+Sand=Cement)

Molding the Cup





Air-dry

Element of the sun










Final product

A Cup of Rice with a Saucer and Spoon. Enjoy the Roasted Rice! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment