Sunday 23 October 2011

Envoy Journal #1: Orientation

Oct 17, 2011 (Monday)

Benildean Student Envoy (BSE)

The orientation started exactly as indicated on their program. After the prayer we had an 'Ice Breaker'. We had to introduce ourselves by giving out our names and an action that will remind others about our names or our characteristics. We had one round then we started a game, one person has to stay in the middle and act out the name of the person we remember and say his/her name. It was going well for a while then...we lost it...the names and the actions and so we had to redo all our actions and names several times then started the game again. After so many attempts it was a success! Right after that we were had a break...wow. Since we had our break early we had time to spare, and so we introduced ourselves. Most of us talked about the interview and how we got the news...while I just said little things about myself. The thing is I somewhat knew what to expect or rather what to do. I guess its because of my experiences in Poveda, I got use to the pressure and oral presentations. And so as I recall from the time of my interview as soon as I entered I greeted the panel and sat down, look confident and just answer whatever is thrown at me, even though I was really nervous. When the panel didn't have anything else to ask I was free to go, what a relief. Everyday I would check my email, and take note I have 4 different emails, just to see if I got an email. I remember thinking something along these lines: what if I don't get in, what then? Then finally October 14, Friday. While I was at my parents office, I got a phone call from an unknown number. Being raised to answer anonymous calls with a 'business-like' tone, I answered the call like any other anonymous call. When (sir) John said I passed, all I could say was..."Oh, cool." I know, I am so lame (I can picture my friends laughing at me at that point). Well what can you expect from a person who hardly expresses herself to anyone, not even her own friends and family, only to special people. After the call somehow I felt a sense of 'doom', like I have entered a 'no return' zone. Obliged, committing myself to the BSE. And thus starts my life in the Benildean Student Envoy.

We had 4 speakers that day.

Our first speaker was Br. Victor A. Franco FSC and he talked about the Lasallian Heritage. It was a really interesting talk, usually I would be sleepy in these talks but not this one nor the other talks. He really made things clear to me, for example the history of the school, prices, name, and the...yeah...rich history.

Next was Ms. Carmelita J. Lazatin she talked about the Lasallian Guiding Principles. May I just say, she motivated me. She is such a good speaker, Benilde is lucky to have her.

Mr. Jay Tanwangco talked about the Philippine Lasallian Family. It was about the Lay community, the schools and the Brothers. The weirdest thing about this topic is that I have never mentioned that I have an Uncle in the Brotherhood. And when I say his picture, when Mr. Jay was showing the young and old Brothers, I had to suppress my laughter. My uncle is very funny and childlike, but he cooks and bakes really well. If you are wondering who this uncle of mine, he's no other than Br. Hans Moran FSC (cool).

Last but not the least, Mr. Cesar de Larrazabal. He was late though and Drop took over but Mr. Cesar mentioned things as well. The funny thing about him is that everyone is scarred of him. I think it is the European look he has. Reminds me of Hans Peter-Smith, or any Lasallian from Greenhills. Why do I mention this, My dad and uncles are from LSGH and they had their wild times, I suppose. And I don't know why but he has the same expression as my uncle, though he is much mellow now.

After all these talks Drop, our president, gave a short talk about the program. And we had different lists for upcoming events.

No comments:

Post a Comment