Saturday 24 September 2011

Youth Service #1: God Is Love

God Is Love
Speaker: Natalia Moran


"Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God." 1 John 4:7

Faith, Hope and Love. But the greatest of these three is LOVE.

How can we say that God is love?
1. Fear vs. Love
- Fear is the absence of Love
- "God's perfect love drives out fear"
- "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love." 1 John 4:18

2. Forgiveness vs. Love
- "Now instead, you ought to forgive and comfort him, so that he will not be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow. I urge you, therefore, to reaffirm your love for him." 2 Corinthians 2:7-8
          - We should stay away from too much sadness and giving up completely from our destiny
          - Despite the sorrow and anger that someone has caused me, I must learn how to forgive and instead love that person. How can I say I love God but despise my neighbors? I would be called a hypocrite, and that is what I hate the most in this world, hypocrites (even though I can be one as well, when  it happens I tend to hate myself for being one, making me over think and trying to change my actions and thoughts).

3. Motivation vs. Love
- What motivates us to love? 
- "If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing." 1 Corinthians 13: 1-3
- "Unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain. In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat— for he grants sleep to those he loves." Psalm 127:1-2
          - There are times when I do certain things to gain something....something useless compared to the sacrifice Jesus made. That is why I have to always think if what I am doing will benefit for the people around me and for the kingdom of God. I don't want to love someone and have different reasons for loving that someone. I do not wish to gain anything but hopefully they would see the love of Jesus and not from me.

4. Jesus
- God's ultimate love for us
- "What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?" Romans 8:31
      - If we follow the way of Christ then no matter what trials we face we will be able to overcome them because God is with us.
- "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8
- "This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins." 1 John 4:10
          - Amazing. How else can I describe it? God gave His only son, His ONLY son. Would I be able to do something like that as well? If only I had Abraham's faith then maybe so but with a heavy heart. God had promised to Adam that a redeemer would come, and that the redeemer will restore the relationship of man and God. 

God Is Love. 
- Love comes from God
- Love is God  Love can never define God because no earthly or heavenly words can describe how great He is.

How can I show God's love to others? 
          - Changing my ways to the ways like Jesus in order for others to see the love of God. 
          - My actions and the words that comes out of my tongue should be that of a child of God. 





No comments:

Post a Comment